If you look closely at the picture above, you can tell that the motor flange is not sitting evenly in the seal plate of this whisperflo pump. The owner called me out because his swimming pool circulation pump was not working. I found the typical symptoms; filter pump breaker tripped, motor just hummed when circuit breaker was reset, impellor frozen. One might suspect the motor had gone bad, unless they had experienced this before. And I have. More times than I can count. Somehow, the combination of brass sealplate inserts, stainless steel bolts and the aluminum endbell of the motor cause the aluminum to corrode and expand, pushing the motor away from the seal plate. Oddly, it never affects all four motor mounting bolts evenly, usually only one or two, which causes the pump impellor to go cock-eyed and bind against the seal plate. You can see this in the picture. The unfortu ate part is that although the motor is still good, the pump needs to be dissassembled the same as if the motor were being replaced. And usually, the bolts are seazed so badly that the seal plate ends up getting destroyed in the dissassembly process. Sometimes, the motor end bell is so corroded that the motor has to be replaced anyway. I know how to fix this, but the question that remains is why does this happen? I have only experienced this on whisperflo pumps, but I have been seeing it for more than 10 years.
Search Posts By Keyword
Top 10 Reasons to Have MPS Fix Your Swimming Pool
- * Insured and bonded
- * Extended warranties for Hayward products
- * Hayward Warranty Service Center
- * Factory trained by the major manufacturers
- * Large Service Truck stocked with common parts
- * All repairs & new equipment installations performed by owner personally
- * Licensed by the State of California as a Swimming pool repair contractor
- * 25 years of Service experience means I understand the daily demands on pool equipment
- * Advanced Pool System Design
- * Want more than just "pool cleaning"? I personally provide Total Pool Care to a limited number of customers in HB & FV
Most Recent Posts
- Pool and Spa Automation Simplified
- Alexa turn on my hot tub
- Amazing $300 Pool Heater Rebate from SCG
- That old Whisperflo problem
- Low Salt after rain? Here’s why
- 10 year old Hayward Progrid DE filter
- Quick and Easy Filter replacement. Leslies black filter to Hayward Progrid. sp740DE makes it happen
- No Flow problem Solved
- New Hayward Heater, Filter and Valve.
- Jandy VS Flopro connected to older Jandy systems.